This is such a powerful question, and one that is so often left out of the equation in our race to acquire even more than we may already have. A sense of gratitude for our current situation , no matter what, for it is surely infinitely better than many people on this earth, is of the essence. Yet, we find ourselves complaining about things we do not have, or how things are not really working out the way we had planned for them to. We forget, in the daily hustle and bustle of life, about the things that we have been blessed with. Having lofty ambitions and large lists about things you want to achieve in life is a necessary step, and one that I have repeatedly brought up. However, focusing solely on one aspect of the picture creates an imbalance between the amount of focus placed on what we want ,and what we have already achieved. I know I forget this time and time again, forget to be truly thankful and grateful for all the miraculous things that I have been blessed with. On account of this, I am in the process of setting for myself the habit of going over a list of items that I am most grateful for, on a daily basis. Listed below are some of the items that are on my list.
1. I am grateful for my good health, which has provided me with the ability to go out and achieve whatever I wish to.
2. I am grateful for being born into my family, they have provided me with the opportunities to pursue my dreams and have supported me throughout.
3. I am grateful for the amazing relationship that I have with my parents, as well as both my brother and sister.
4. I am grateful for having been given the opportunity to pursue my passion of starting up new enterprises, and working with entrepreneurs on a daily basis.
5. I am grateful for my business partners and mentors, they have been guiding lights in assisting me reach goals I have set out for myself.
Even though this list may appear to be generic, or things we already “know” and are thankful for, it still really helps when you write down all the things that you are grateful for. One should just write down whatever comes to mind, it should not be forced, and there are no pre-qualifications of what can, and cannot be on the list. This list should be a source of daily inspiration and motivation about aspects of your life, that are just the way you want them to be. It helps to shift our thoughts away from the constant things that we “need” and “want”, to what you already “have”. It is only when we truly begin to appreciate the things that we have ,can we reach a state of inner peace, happiness and satisfaction.
What are three things that you are grateful for?